Viewing on a PDA? Click here to read this email.
Medical Progress Today
mpt home | sign up

Volume 7, Number 40
October 14, 2010


PRINTER FRIENDLY

In the Spotlight

Health Care Plans, Waivers, Choice?

Diana Furchtgott-Roth, Real Clear Markets, 10-14-10

The Department of Health and Human Services celebrated the six-month "anniversary" of enactment of the new health care law by granting waivers of its requirements to 30 companies, covering almost a million workers, so that those companies can keep their insurance plans going for another year.
Continue reading . . .

News

· Medical Device Recalls and the FDA Approval Process, Zuckerman, D. M., Brown, P., Nissen, S. E., Archives of Internal Medicine, 6-14-11
· Patent Reform Gets Key Support in House, Julian Pecquet, The Hill, 6-14-11
· $4.3 Billion Pledged at Vaccine Fund-Raiser, Donald G. McNeil Jr., New York Times, 6-13-2011
· Physicians Leaving Practices for health System Employment, Karen Cheung, FierceHealthcare, 6-13-11

More Headlines >>


Commentary

· Marco Rubio takes on 'Medi-scare' Marc A. Thiessen, Washington Post, 6-13-11
· 'Vouchercare' Is the Right Name for Medicare Laurence Kotlikoff, Bloomberg, 6-15-11
· Built To Fail: Health Insurance Exchanges Under The Affordable Care Act
· Can Exchanges Help Consumers Get Good Value Insurance? Depends On Where You Live Sabrina Corlette, Kaiser Health News, 6-15-11
· The ObamaCare Bad News Continues Karl Rove, Wall Street Journal, 6-16-11
· ObamaCare's Economic Flaws Doug Holtz-Eakin, Investor's Business Daily, 6-8-11

More Commentary >>


Research

· Why States Are So Miffed about Medicaid — Economics, Politics, and the "Woodwork Effect", Benjamin D. Sommers et al., New England Journal of Medicine, 6-15-11
· Auditing Access to Specialty Care for Children with Public Insurance, Joanna bisgaier et al., New England Journal of Medicine, 6-16-11
· Moving Beyond Fee-For-Service: The Case for Managed Care in Medicaid, Michael Ramlet and Carey Lafferty, American Action Forum, 6-14-11
· The New Gold Rush: Prospectors are Hoping to Mine Opportunities in the Healthcare Industry, Health Research Institute, PricewatershouseCoopers, 6-14-11
· Active Purchasing for Health Insurance Exchanges: An Analysis of Options, Sabrina Corlette and JoAnn Volk, RWJF, 6-14-11

More Research>>



Medical Progress Today is published by the Center for Medical Progress at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research.

For more information about Medical Progress Today, please contact the managing editor, Paul Howard, at phoward@manhattan-institute.org, or via telephone at 212.599.7000.

Press inquiries regarding Medical Progress Today can be directed to the Communications Department, at communications@manhattan-institute.org, or via telephone at 212.599.7000.

If you would like to unsubscribe, please reply to us and type "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.

MPT on Facebook Find us on Twitter

SPOTLIGHT

Health Care Plans, Waivers, Choice?

INNOVATIVE IDEAS:
Podcast Series


William T. Carpenter, the Chief Operating Officer for Salient Corporation, discusses fraud, waste, and abuse in New York's nearly $50 billion Medicaid program, as well as how to design better, less expensive Medicaid options that also improve health outcomes for some of New York’s most vulnerable residents.

Click here to listen to the podcast.

"Let's say fraud is 5% and abuse is 5% and waste is 10%, just at that first level. We're at about 20% cost. But then waste in system because people are not efficient in [how] they take of their health and the resources needed to take care of recipients are not always available, it's another 10-20% bringing the total to 30-40% [of Medicaid spending] if we could get the health care system efficient. It's a staggering amount of money."
—William T. Carpenter

 

Center for Medical Progress 
Copyright Manhattan Institute for Policy Research
52 Vanderbilt Avenue
New York, NY 10017
(212) 599-7000
mpt@manhattan-institute.org